Also known as bad taste sinus disease, the bad taste in mouth disease is an awful experience that you can have. This condition is caused by the inflammation of the sinus cavities that are located in your head. This is usually due to nasal discharge. Other symptoms may include; facial pain, fatigue and headaches.
The nose and the sinuses, in normal circumstances, secrete mucous which is released through the nose to pick up bacteria and other dust particles that are inhaled by the nose when you breathe. The hair found in our nose, known as cilia; assists the nasal cavity to sweep the mucous into our throats where it is swallowed into the stomach. The acidic nature of the stomach destroys all the harmful bacteria found in the mucous.
This normal process of mucous secretion can be irritating due to some factors like; inflammation, pollution, smoke, infection or an allergy and this leads to sinus cavity producing more mucous than normal. This mucous will then flow into your throat, leaving a weary taste in the mouth. Sinusitis is not dangerous at this point since when you swallow the mucous, the bacteria present in the mucous will get destroyed once in the stomach. But it can be dangerous if the sinus causes other conditions to develop like; asthma, chronic cough or bronchitis. In rare occasions, it can spread to your eyes and the brain as well. If the post nasal drip finds its way to your lungs, this can be dangerous as well.
According to professionals here are some self treatment you can implement to help reduce the effects of sinusitis and possibly eliminate it.
1. Once a day, apply a warm/hot towel to your face. This relieves the nasal congestion all around your face.
2. Drink the recommended amount of water per day to help reduce the amount of mucus.
3. In the shower, inhale the steam for about 2-4 times a day to also relieve the nasal cavities. You can also use a humidifier.
4. Use a nasal saline solution and spray your nose with it several times a day. However, this method is not recommended as it can get addicting and lose its effectiveness.
5. Use a Neti pot and rinse the solution through your nose. This process cleans out the bacteria in your nasal cavities.
If worse comes to worse, you may also consider buying over-the-counter medicines like Alkalol or go through a surgery process. In conclusion, sinusitis is definitely a strong irritation problem when you’re affected, however the solutions are quite easy to find and simple to do.